Thursday 23 August 2012

Children's illustrators - a few of my favourites

Good children's illustrations stick in our minds way beyond childhood.

For me, as a young reader, the illustrations were often more important than the text. I spent hours just poring over the pictures and often took the same books out of the library week after week just to look at the pictures again.

Here are a few illustrators who made a big impression on Love Lucy Illustration:

I adore Shirley Hughes' rich detail and the scenes she sets...



Raymond Briggs is a firm favourite too. In my family it's a tradition to watch 'The Snowman' every Christmas Eve, without fail. Magical...



'New Blue Shoes' by Eve Rice was the book I took out of the library time and time again! Looking at it now the illustrations seem quite simple but it had a real charm to my 4 year old self...



I feel like a bit of a child all over again since moving to France and seeing everything with fresh eyes. I can very often be found in the children's departments of libraries and bookshops discovering great French illustrators who I missed out on as a child, like Alain Gree, for one...



And Agnes Rosenstiehl with her adorable character 'Mimi Cracra'



                               So these are my favourites...who are yours?







1 comment:

  1. One for me is Garth Williams who illustrated the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder! I read this series at about 10-12 yrs old. When I look back on them and see the illustrations it brings a sense of happiness! (I am almost...52!)

    ReplyDelete